3D modeling software
- Tinkercad - Entry level 3D modeling (free)
- Meshmixer - Good for sculpting and mesh-repair (free).
- Blender - Amazing all round 3D software application (free & open source)
- Meshroom - Photogrammetry software (free & open source)
- Freecad - CAD modeling (free & open source, think Blender for CAD)
- Fusion 360 - Cad modeling & CAM (free for students and hobbyists)
- Register for a free student licence here
- Renew student licences here
- Onshape - Online collaborative CAD modeling (free for students and hobbyists if you freely share your designs).
- openSCAD Create parametric 3D shapes from code (free)
3D modeling tutorials — for Meshmixer
3D modeling tutorials — for Blender
More advanced tutorials
- Cura - open source slicing software
- Kiri:Moto - Online slicing & visualisation engine for FDM and CAM
How to print with...
3D material overview
Using self tapping screws in a 3D print.
- A screw with a diameter of
2,85mm fits well in a pilot hole of
- Rule of thumb: a pilot hole that is
70-80% the diameter of the screw should work.
- Info sheet about self tapping plastic screws (link opens in Safari. Chrome seems to have trouble with it)
Fusion 360 tutorials
Autodesk Self-paced learning for Fusion 360
Mechanical Design guidelines for 3D Printing nuts and bolts, snap-fit pivots and dovetail joints.
Design guidelines for FDM printing
Design guidelines for CNC machining
Tips for press-fit parts
3D print related projects
Rooie Joris - 3D print related experiments and projects
Olivier Van Herpt - Ceramics 3D printing
Code Plastic - Programming and 3D printing related tutorials and projects
Critical Engineering - The manifesto
openflexure.org - A flexure based open microscope and micro-motion platform
Defextiles - Print objects with textile properties
Filament sculptures - Lia: experiments with the behaviour of filament
Which Plastics Are Recyclable?
FullControl GCode Designer - A parameter based Gcode generator for experimental structures.
3D print materials
Commercial 3D print services